Monday, January 26, 2009

Recent Projects

These are the most recent projects I've been working on. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures before they were started. :(
My picture placement is still iffy so hopefully my captions will make a little bit of sense.


This is a table that had layers of green and white paint mixed with many grease/oil/gas/diesel fuel stains. Lynne and I worked on this most of last summer and fall. We decided not to sand it till all the stains were gone since that adds character. :)


These are a couple of cabinets that were in the backroom of the shop. They were that ugly gray that you see lots of utility shelving/cabinets painted. Since it was way too cold to try and strip them we decided to attempt one of those fancy paint methods you see in Lowe's or Home Depot. They actually didn't turn out half bad considering it was a first try at anything of that nature.



Ted has been doing some logging in the woods and after seeing some of the items at a recent craft show I got the brainy idea to make a hat rack out of a slice of cherry log for Lynne's Christmas present.

When we were kids we spent a good amount of time at our next door neighbor Ruth's house. When her estate went up for auction I bought this cabinet, which she used in her cellar for storing canned goods. It was painted that ugly utility gray and had double paned glass in the doors. Much of the glass was cracked or broken so instead of replacing it I decided to do punched tin. The refinishing is done but I have not yet started the tin.

10 comments:

  1. Nice work Dawn! Maybe this summer we can start on my piano! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you commented twice Rach :)
    The table is Grampa's. He got it from Spector's, the trucking company he worked for that was once on Shortman Road. In addition to being their coffee and donut break table it looked as if a few engines had been repaired on it. :)

    Robyn...how on earth could you possibly fit anything else in your schedule?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably can't (fit anything else into my schedule) but I like thinking about doing something besides working for the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pieces! Ruth's cabinet will look great once you get the tin done, what will you use it for? Umm, how come *Lynne* gets a hat rack and I'm still waiting for the baby card you bought me for Levi & Micah, 12 stinking years ago???

    You should do that for a living (refinish furniture not forget my baby card) you seem to have a talent and really enjoy it. Those people make good money.

    Paris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll see if I can find the card, Paris :)
    The cabinet will be for my quilt fabric. In fact I just brought it up to the house yesterday and the fabric is in place....just gotta get to the punching. I thought about taking another picture so you could see my loverly fabric but I know pictures aren't very cooperative with you for the present time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's ok, I'd like to see it. I might be jealous, my fabric stash is so pathetic. Gill hates it when I buy fabric that I don't *need*.

    ReplyDelete
  7. soo... i seem to recall someone complaining that I wasn't posting frequently enough... but now the roles seem to be reversed. january 26th? unacceptable. (:

    ReplyDelete