Wednesday, June 10, 2009



Trevor turned 20 last week. We had the traditional brownies and he opted for La Casa's chicken wings for supper. Very low key, but that's our style :) (What's with the underlining?!)

I've been wanting to try out recumbent bikes for awhile now, but unfortunately local bike shops don't deal in them. Last Saturday I decided to finally take a trip to the closest dealership around, Alfred, NY to try em out. It's about a 2 hour drive but according to Pete, the owner aka "The Bicycle Man" that is a very short trip compared to most of his clientèle. There was a couple from New Jersey there that same day and Pete said he has gotten folks from as far away as Australia visiting him. I don't understand why there aren't more shops stocking recumbents. Lynne and I spent all day there trying out a few different models. They are an absolute blast to ride! There was a side road nearby where they encourage you to take the bikes to get a real sense of how they ride. We raced up and down that road numerous times and also took them in a vacant lot to test out the tight turning abilities and "S" maneuvers. I am either a better racer than Lynne or had better bikes cuz I was able to beat her every time! :) As I said, they are a blast to ride and in my opinion have lots of advantages over traditional bikes such as pedaling and sightseeing simultaneously, not having to watch every stone or bump in the road to avoid crashes, no balance needed, stopping on a hill and starting back up again without difficulty, and my favorite; low riding (since I am one of those that wants their feet grounded at all times)........I think I shall save my pennies and hopefully get one in the near future!!
And finally......a trip to Niagara Falls, Canada. Since June 1st marked the day of major documentation needed to get back in the States I wanted to get to the Falls one more time before that date. Unfortunately it turned out rainy but was still a nice visit. Coming back through customs took forever! I can't even imagine how it is now, with the stricter rules in play.

4 comments:

  1. The chain looks funny on that bike, slack? Ill send you a link to some pics/video of my biking...not keeping the feet on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol....to each his/her own :) I noticed the chain issue on the bikes also...I think it depends on what gear you are in, but I forgot to ask them about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mom, you're posting more than me!! good job! if you get one of those bikes i will have to try it! are you going to get a passport so you can back to the falls/canada?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'd really like it Rach...then again, maybe you'd feel like an old lady...lol...I doubt I'll get the new I.D. they require to get back in the States....seems like I heard it's pricey and for as little as I go to Canada hardly worth the cost

    ReplyDelete